Pages

Friday 3 June 2011

Hello!

Do you know that on average, people squander forty days annually compensating for things they've forgotten? It's true! So that's why I decided to start this blog. I thought that instead of trying to rummage in my mind everytime I need to recall my curious thoughts, this will be the perfect place to hold them. This is also where i want to spark off your curiosity, share some curious (and sometimes random but potentially brilliant) thoughts and hear your curious ideas. So, hello and welcome to my blog! =)


*                              *                              *
Just the other day, I had a craving for fried chicken and decided to swing by Popeye's (sorry to you KFC fans out there). Much to my horrors, there was a snake line of people queuing behind just 1 counter! I was appalled. How could you just have 1 counter at a peak hour?! Fainted. If not for my craving, I was very tempted to turn my back and troop off... I can't help but think about how the queues at MacDonalds always clear pretty fast. In fact, I recently happened to be at a Macs outlet when they switched from the breakfast menu to the lunch menu. As the hour hand hit 12, there was a sudden frenzy of activities - the menu signs and counter signs were flipped, new counters opened, and the number of staff behind the counters doubled. All these done in less than 5 minutes! The more amazing sight was that the number of customers in the queue increased to a troop almost instantly. (If you don't believe me, just go into a Macs at 11.45am and watch them switch!)


Before you think I'm an obsessed fast food junkie, the question on my mind was how MacDonalds got their act together in serving their customers, across all their different outlets? On a related note, how did they create a consistent and happy experience for many people? If you've been around long enough, you would remember the TV advertisement where a grandma told her grandkid that "bringing you out is very troublesome" and the next thing you know it, she brought her grandkid to a Macs and stuffed him with fries. I thought that was a classic advertisement because kids always link happy memories to Macs (ok, maybe getting a Happy Meal toy helped too). If the toy really helped in creating a magical moment for the kid, I'm sure that kid will always associate Macs with happy memories from then on even till adulthood. So what then helps to create positive experiences and memories?


Hmm, I heard a bunch of my friends are looking into creating a beautiful learning experience. Maybe I'll go talk to them to find out more, and ask them to drop a note or two here!


By the way, if you want to know where the little fact about forgetting things, check out Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshure Foer and you'll know I kid you not! =)


~ Susie

1 comment:

  1. Hello Susie!

    I'm glad to find a fellow journal junkie - you are right, journals do work like scrapbooks for thoughts, ideas and observations :)

    I don't know for sure what creates positive experiences and memories, but I think these few things help:

    - Engaging narratives i.e. compelling storylines. Like that TV advertisement you mentioned. It's a short "story" but one that people can easily identify with and associate with periods in their own lives. The funny thing is, the same narrative can also trigger bad memories for others e.g. for a kid who doesn't enjoy a good relationship with Grandma, the advertisement can be a sore reminder.

    - Meaningful visuals. TV advertisements are very visual. Logos are too. I've always felt that the Golden Arches also looked like a pair of smiling eyes - which is quite welcoming :) Macs is quite clever to work with primary colours too. I rem watching a TV feature on food photography recently and marvelling at the weird things the professionals use to make food look really delish. There was smth about using dishwashing detergent to give roast chicken a nice glaze...

    - Clarity of needs. Does Macs switch over to the lunch menu only at 12nn now? They used to do that at 11am, no? Perhaps they have been paying more than average attention to what people want. Understanding customer needs, but also understanding organisational needs. Isn't it great that the number of staff behind Macs' counters doubled for the switchover? :) Imagine if they kept to the same number of staff - I'm not sure there would still be as many Happy-Mealers!

    - Intelligent reflection. From your detailed observation of Macs and their switchover, I see that positive experiences and memories are very much the result of the 'customer's consciousness and deliberate reflection too. If you had just stood in line and used the waiting time to sms 100 friends, you probably wouldn't have noticed the switch and appreciated the finer details.

    It's Friday morning in Canada - nowhere close to lunchtime thankfully, else I might be tempted to grab some fried chicken or frites! :p

    ReplyDelete